Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Terracide - Primordium EP

Apparently, America is doing its best to keep up with Europe in producing amazing metal acts, and to this I say right the fuck on, America. I say this because I have another up and coming metal act from here in the states that I’d like to review for you. Today’s tiny little slice of metal?



Terracide - Primordium EP


Seeing as how this is only three tracks (and I don’t really have that much of a witty backstory to pad the space with this one), there isn’t really a lot to talk about. Well, actually there is. Sort of. These three tracks are a breath of fresh air in a field that is quite stale in the U.S. I can’t actually remember the last time I listened to a native band that claimed to be melodic death metal that wasn’t steeped in Killswitch -core structure. Scream, scream, clean sing...ooh, emo. Whatever. Nothing like that is to be had here. In three short songs, Terracide manages to capture the best parts of Scar Symmetry and Rush. How this is possible, a fucking clue I have not, but it works. There is a definite prog/power to the clean sections, and a raw, brutal edge to each deathly utterance. The clean sections do not feel forced in the songs, but rather they become an extension of the melodies. These melodies, are very tight and complex, which is the exact opposite of what I would have expected, if I’m telling the truth (which we all know I do very well). My only complaint is that the songs felt like they could have been a little longer. I found myself really getting into the tracks, and then they would end just when everything was peaking. Eh, who knows, maybe it was intentional, who am I to bitch? Oh, yeah, the guy that reviews this shit! Anyway, with only having three songs, there isn’t really much more to say. Primordium, like I said at the beginning, is available for download on Facebook (like Terracide and join their mailing list, its worth it), and they have a kickstarter campaign going for their debut album. I strongly recommend throwing some love their way, as this is definitely unique and promising metal that needs to happen.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment